Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you...you're just helping re-supply our family's travel fund.
I get asked all the time, “How do you do it all?”
My response is often, “Well, who’s going to do it for me?” I have found myself saying this a LOT!
I’m working on my PhD, I work full-time as well as blogging and coaching, I am married, I have three kids, and I have autoimmune issues. I also volunteer and travel regularly. I certainly don’t have a lot of time to spare, but I get things done!
I used to be one of those people who got easily distracted. Not anymore! I use a productivity hack!
What’s my secret?
I use a productivity hack called the Pomodoro Technique:
- Decide on the task to be done.
- Set the pomodoro timer (traditionally to 25 minutes-I just use a timer on my phone).
- Work on the task until the timer rings. If a distraction pops into your head, write it down, but immediately get back on task.
- After the timer rings, put a checkmark on a piece of paper.
- If you have fewer than four checkmarks, take a short break (3–5 minutes), then go to step 1.
- After four pomodoros, take a longer break (15–30 minutes), reset your checkmark count to zero, then go to step 1.
For example, let’s say I want to do a power hour and get a lot done in the morning. It’ll look like this:
25 min meditate, gratitude journal
25 min checking in with challengers
25 min scheduling social media posts
25 min reading personal development
This will allow you to get done way more than you ever could before. By better managing my time, I can now do more of the things I love:
Spending time with my family
Reading personal development
What productivity hacks do you have? I’d love to hear them below!