Some of the links in this post are affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you...you're just helping re-supply our children's squishy and slime fund.
In 2010, I found myself close to 300 lbs. I sat in my living room while eating a sleeve of Oreo cookies – wallowing in self despair. I had let myself go. A few years prior, I was very fit.
- My joints ached
- I had a hard time getting up off the couch,
- and I couldn’t even do a pushup
I know there are many of you who are reading this now who can’t do a pushup, either. Know that you are not your weight. You’re more than a number on the scale.
Here are some of my best tips for working out when morbidly obese:
- Start slow. Walk around the block, or to the mailbox. Keep going a little further each day, stopping for rest as needed.
- Most Beachbody programs use a modifier. You may need to even modify the modifier. I know I did.
- Can’t do a pushup even on your knees? I couldn’t either. I did them against the wall. As I got stronger, I would slide my feet out further from the wall.
- Keep pushing play! Guess what? Most people don’t ever make it through all of P90X the first time around. Yup, even fit people. You can only make it through five minutes of the workout? GREAT! Let’s go for six tomorrow! Or, better yet, shut it off, and try again in an hour! Before you know it, you’ll be completing your workout in its entirety without stopping. And then, 90 days is there and gone!
- Make sure you’re checking in with your doctor on a regular basis to check your health. Your labs can be a great motivator to get moving.
- Choose low-impact exercises like working out in water. It is much easier on the joints, especially when standing is an issue.
- Get a workout partner. Somebody you trust, and will help push you.
- Make sure you document your progress! Take before/after pictures. No matter how much you don’t want to–you’ll be happy to have those before pictures when you take your “after” pictures!
Here are some Beachbody program suggestions:
- Ultimate Reset
- Power 90 (P90)
- Tai Cheng
- 3 Day Refresh
>>Want 1:1 coaching support from someone who successfully lost 123 lbs in just over a year? Fill this out: MENTORSHIP APPLICATION. Please note, I only work with women who are COMMITTED to losing at least 50 lbs, are high vibe, and aren’t going to make excuses. My help is not free, nor is it cheap. I bring my best when you bring your best<<
Love this? Please share this image on Pinterest using the share button on the left!
If you liked this post, you’ll love these: