Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you...you're just helping re-supply our family's travel fund.
After visiting France last year, I’ve gained a bit of an obsession with their cuisine. From Coq au vin to foie gras to chicken cordon bleu, I wanted to try it all!
The French term cordon bleu is translated as “blue ribbon”. According to Larousse Gastronomique cordon bleu “was originally a wide blue ribbon worn by members of the highest order of knighthood, L’Ordre des chevaliers du Saint-Esprit, instituted by Henri III of France in 1578.
I adapted this recipe from one I saw on AllRecipes – the honey cream sauce is what sets this recipe over-the-top. I actually submitted it many years ago to them but it’s still in review. However, somehow someone got to see the recipe there and rated it 5 stars after trying it. So I can officially say my recipe has 5 stars on AllRecipes!
- 6 skinless, boneless chicken breast halves
- 6 slices swiss cheese
- 6 slices ham
- 3 tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp paprika
- 6 tbsp butter
- 1 tsp chicken bouillon granules
- 1 tbsp cornstarch
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/4 cup honey
- Pound chicken breasts if they are too thick.
- Place a cheese and ham slice on each breast within 1/2 inch of the edges.
- Fold the edges of the chicken over the filling, and secure with toothpicks.
- Mix the flour and paprika in a small bowl, and coat the chicken pieces.
- Heat the butter in a large skillet over medium-high heat, and cook the chicken until browned on all sides.
- Add the bouillon.
- Reduce heat to low, cover, and simmer for 30 minutes, until chicken is no longer pink and juices run clear.
- Remove the toothpicks, and transfer the breasts to a warm platter.
- Blend the cornstarch with the cream and honey in a small bowl, and whisk slowly into the skillet.
- Cook, stirring until thickened, and pour over the chicken. Serve warm.
I’d love to know what you think. Tag me on social media! @kathyhaan on IG