Some of the links in this post may be affiliate links. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive an affiliate commission at no extra cost to you...you're just helping re-supply our family's travel fund.
If you’re anything like me, you love getting away from it all every-so-often. You spend so much time managing your household, family schedules, housekeeping, and work, you just need some adult conversations sometimes! It’s totally ok!
I try to plan a getaway with just the girls at least quarterly, sometimes more often. It can be as simple as a weekend in Chicago, or a weekend soiree in Paris. Whatever your thing is – you do you!
I’ve put together some of my tried-and-true tips to help your getaway go off without a hitch!
5 Tips for Planning a Girl’s Getaway
- How much time do you have to be gone? Do you have work commitments and can only take a few days off? What about family commitments? Is it feasible to take a couple weeks off, or do you have to make it a quick weekend trip?
- Figure out where you want to go. Do you want to take an airplane? Go by car? You can get some pretty incredible vacation packages from online travel sites (like Gate 1 or Trip Advisor). Be sure to pay attention to whether or not those rates are based on double occupancy or not. If so, you and your girlfriends may need to book it all at the same time.
- Who are you going to take with you? If you’re looking for a friend, might I suggest….me? 😉 Otherwise, if you’re female and are totally cool with meeting up with a random person for travel…you’re going to LOVE the Girls Love Travel community on Facebook. Haley Woods is the founder and all day long I’m seeing how the community has brought random strangers together. This group has personally inspired me to do a lot more traveling – last year I took 1-2 trips, and in 2016 I took fifteen, and have even more planned in 2017. Want to join me?
- Figure out what you’re celebrating! Are one of you celebrating a new business venture? Perhaps a bachelorette party? Or for some of you, you may celebrate being an empty-nester while your kids head off to college.
- If you’re the one organizing the trip, consider putting together little gift bags for your attendees. Nothing says, “I appreciate you!” more than a little bag of chocolates. Even better, if you’re attending one of these, don’t forget to shower your hostess with love and gifts! It is no easy feat coordinating something like this! But, it is so worth it!
Girl’s Night In, Instead?
If you can’t get away, you could always have a night in with the girls! My friends at Universal Home Entertainment gave me the movie Bad Moms, starring actresses like Mila Kunis, Kristen Bell, and Kathryn Hahn (which is crazy, because my name is Katherine Haan – ha!). They’ve also given me a digital copy to give away to one of you! The movie, for the most part, is pretty good, if you can ignore what I imagine is supposed to be a joke about circumcision (I think most Americans would probably understand it because routine infant circumcision is still a common practice here, but it felt a little disjointed and awkward).
Bad Moms is a story about underappreciated moms who are over-worked and just plain tired of the status quo. Ever feel like as a mom you over-commit? Yeah, me, too. If so, you’re going to totally relate to this movie! Please keep in mind that it’s Rated R – so although it’s for moms by moms…wait until the kiddos are in bed to watch this one;)
Bad Moms releases on November 1st on Blu-Ray, DVD, and On-Demand. Or, you can get it now on digital HD (or by, you know, winning below). Be sure to check out all of these tips on planning your night in, including a fun little Bad Moms Drinking Game (for when you just need to cut loose!). Get ’em here —> Bad Moms Night In