We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you ... you're just helping re-supply our family's travel fund.
I’m a huge fan of Pinch of Yum! In honor of their Everyday Healthy release, I wanted to take one of their recipes and adapt it so it’s a little healthier (it was under their healthy category because of its superfood, kale, but I wouldn’t necessarily call a cheese sauce healthy)…but still indulgent at the same time!
Everyday Healthy includes an eCookbook, Nutrition eGuide, and a meal planning package. This thing is amazing! Now you have NO EXCUSE not to eat healthy, right? 🙂 You can get your very own copy HERE!
I have staples that I use when shopping. For example, if a recipe calls for sausage, I know that I’m going to automatically swap it with Applegate sausage because they’re casein free, dairy free and gluten-free. If I’m making any kind of white sauce, I know I’m going to cut the amount of cheese and substitute with homemade Greek yogurt. I promise you, it doesn’t take a lot of effort to make a recipe healthier!
- 4 teaspoons coconut oil
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 16 ounces organic andouille sausage, or chicken & apple sausage, cut into small rounds
- 6 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 cups low sodium chicken broth
- ¾ cup milk
- ¼ cup flour
- 1/4 cup shredded Gruyère or Swiss cheese
- 1/2 cup greek yogurt
- 4 cups finely chopped kale (or if you’re like me, you just pinch off tiny pieces!)
- pinch of Himalayan sea salt
- pinch of pepper
- Heat coconut oil in a sauté pan on high heat until just melted. Add sweet potatoes and sausage, shaking to coat in oil. Let sit for a few minutes until browned on one side. Add minced garlic. Shake again every few minutes until all sides are a golden brown. Add kale, tossing until coated. Transfer to 9″ square baking dish.
- Meanwhile, preheat the oven to 350 degrees. In the same sauté pan you used to cook the sweet potatoes and sausage, bring the broth and 1/2 cup milk to a low boil. Add salt and pepper. Once boiling, turn to low to simmer. In a bowl, whisk remaining milk and flour. You may need to add a bit more flour–the consistency you’re looking for is a thick paste. Add this to the broth, whisking to keep smooth. Add Greek yogurt and 1/8 cup Gruyere or Swiss cheese. Stir until melted.
- Pour sauce over the sweet potatoes, kale and sausage in baking dish. Toss to coat, then sprinkle with remaining cheese. Bake for 40 minutes, or until sauce is bubbly and cheese has browned.
And don’t forget, if you want to learn how to be a better food blogger, check out Food Blogger Pro. Like me, you may not be a dedicated food blogger, but their tips and resources are invaluable when it comes to setting up and running your own blog!
This recipe for Healthy Sweet Potato, Kale, and Sausage Bake with High Protein Cheese Sauce is adapted from Lindsay’s Sweet Potato, Kale, and Sausage Bake with White Cheese Sauce at Pinch of Yum.
This looks so yummy! I can’t wait to try it out. Thank you so much for posting it!
Kathy Haan says
Thanks, Donna! Please let me know how you like it!
Beth Ann says
That looks really good and healthy at the same time!!! It’s a win win!!!!