We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you ... you're just helping re-supply our family's travel fund.
Relocating can be overwhelming. It’s one of the biggest decisions you will ever make, and it doesn’t come without its headaches. Moving can sometimes take months to plan out, but with these easy steps, you should be well on your way to moving in no time. Here’s how to relocate.
How to Relocate
1) Decide if you should move or hire a moving company. There are many reasons you might not want to handle your own move, including financial factors, cross country moving, and physical limitations.
2) If possible, plan for someone to take over your lease (if you still have one). This will save an extra month’s rent right off the bat.
3) Take an inventory of all your bulky or large furniture, such as microwaves, refrigerators, and couches. These items may be hard to sell without packaging, and they will take up a lot of square footage in the moving vehicle. It might not be worth it to make two trips back and forth if you can get away with selling these items before the move.
4) Sell or donate all of your unwanted items, including clothing, shoes, and accessories. You don’t want to drag all of them with you when you move, so selling them is a good way to make extra money quickly. If you don’t want to sell everything in sight, consider donating the items that may be useful to someone else.
5) Start packing very early in advance. Don’t wait until a month before your move because you will probably need all the time you can get to plan and organize everything. If you start too late, streamline the process, so it doesn’t seem like such a daunting task.
6) Gather all of your documents and important items in one place, including photographs, passports, birth certificates, and spare keys. Make copies of everything (print out emails containing important dates or information) that you may need when you arrive at the new destination. You will also want to find an address-forwarding service to make it easier for your company to send monthly bills, important documents, and prescriptions to your new home.
7) Give yourself plenty of time off from work so you can concentrate on the move itself. Moving is demanding on your body and time, so don’t add any extra stress by trying to squeeze it in during “off times” (holidays and weekends).
8) Relax and have fun! This is a huge milestone in your life, so take time to enjoy everything you are going through. The more relaxed you are, the easier it will be for everyone involved.
How to Relocate Conclusion
Moving can become a chore if you want to do too much on your own. If possible, hire professionals that know what they are doing, and you will be well on your way to the new place. During this time, try to take care of yourself, so you do not become overwhelmed with everything that comes along with moving. If you follow these steps, relocating should be the fun part of the journey!
Leave a Reply