We may earn money or products from the companies mentioned in this post. This means if you click on the link and purchase the item, I will receive a small commission at no extra cost to you ... you're just helping re-supply our family's travel fund.
Home renovation might be on your bucket list for 2024, but have you really considered which renovations you need? Home value boosting renovation ideas are going to change the game for you this year, especially if you have a view in mind to sell your house at some stage.
Choosing the options such as Renewal by Andersen replacement windows can help you to build sustainability in your home as well as renovate it to a higher standard. But can it add value? Absolutely. You want to choose renovations that are going to add to the sale price of your home so that when you do eventually sell it, somebody buys it for what it’s truly worth. Investing in your property just to sell it later might seem like an empty economy, but actually it’s the best thing that you could do for your home. So with that in mind, we’ve put together a list of home value boosting renovations that you could choose to do this year.
- Add an outdoor entertainment deck. We might be in the depths of winter right now, but that doesn’t mean you can’t think ahead to the summer months. You could spend the spring renovating your backyard and installing a brand new deck ready for entertaining your friends and family this summer. If you love to spend time outdoors and entertaining your friends, why not give your house a boost with something functional and high quality? You can add a gazebo to make sure it feels like more of a resort and to give you some shade from the wind, the rain and the sunshine, but you can create an attractive outdoor area for entertaining others as well as yourself.
- Adjust your floor plan. What if the original layout of the house that you bought doesn’t make sense for you or the family anymore? Most people love an open plan feel, and if that’s the case for you, then it’s time to take the walls down, but not the ones that count. Having professionals come in to assess your home is so important here as you want to make sure you are pulling down the right walls and not the wrong ones. Older homes are often entirely sectioned off, so you need to open up the space to add some more light and life to it.
- Work on a kitchen remodel. You might already know that remodeling the kitchen is the number one renovation that people choose to do. It’s the hub of the home and where you spend your time preparing your meals, eating your meals, and socializing.If your kitchen is the center of your home, then increasing the value of it by remodeling it is a great idea. People will often look to the kitchen first when choosing which house they want to buy, and if you ensure that you repaint or renovate your kitchen, you’re going to end up with something beautiful, ready to sell. You can repaint the whole thing, and if you do that, choose neutral tones that others would see themselves living in.
- Move to the bathroom next after the kitchen. A bathroom renovation is pretty standard. It might be one of the smallest rooms in the home, but it’s one of the most comfortable ones if you are showering, bathing, or simply spending some time on yourself. All the bathrooms can look unkempt even if you’ve been keeping it in good condition, so you need to think about whether you update the flooring, the walls, or just the fixtures and fittings such as the draw handles and door handles. Tiling the bathroom or replacing old grout can give it a fresh look in an instant.
- Call in the landscapers. You may not have a green thumb, but there are people out there who do. Calling in a landscaper who can give your garden the much needed makeover that it’s been looking for is going to really add some renovation value to your house. Complex gardens are unlikely to reduce the property value, but if you’re redoing the garden, make it simple. Make it look like somewhere that other people would want to spend their time.
- Change your lighting options. A great way to boost the value of your property is to reconsider the lighting. Interior designers can help you to optimize every corner of the room so that it’s lit up very well. You can do this yourself with dimmers to overhead lighting or adding something to.In heart, certain areas such as lamps in the corners.You can even add mirrors to allow the light to reflect around the room.
- Add a granny flat. Do you have space on your property for an extension but you don’t want anything added to the side of the house? Well, a granny flat could be a good option. An extra bedroom can increase the properties value of up to $150,000, so if you think about reworking the space to add to your home’s layout, a granny flat could be the option for you. If your garden is big enough, you could build it at the end of the garden so it feels like a separate property on the same land. This way it will have its own electricity and water connections as well as gas, and you could lease it out to somebody else. All you need to do is make sure that there is room for a separate entrance so that people don’t have to walk through your home to get there.
- Add some more storage. Most buyers look for homes that have an amazing storage option and you can add that to your house. Converting a tiny bedroom or a small study into a large storage closet. It’s a great way to do that. You can even add built-in wardrobes to the bedrooms or walk in the wardrobe for the master. If you don’t have one, adding a linen cupboard it’s going to really help you for those excess towels, blankets and linens, but storage in the laundry room can help you there too. There are so many different combinations that you could use to add storage to your home.
- Give the walls a refresh. Changing up the wallpaper or putting on a fresh coat of paint can be a very effective but affordable way to give your room some life. In the kitchen, you don’t have to replace the entire cabinet door when you can just add tile paint to refresh it.In the bedroom, using wallpaper on one room and paint on the others is a popular trend that you could do to break up the colour of the room. Giving the walls a refresh can make an absolute difference to your house and to the house’s value.
- Replace your fixtures. From old racks in the kitchen to faucets in the bathrooms, you can make your home feel brand new and in trend by updating these fixtures and fittings. All the fixtures can make your home look and feel forgotten about, but here is where we need to add some value. You need to change the perception when you look at it and think about how strangers look at your home first. Once you’ve done that, you can then make those upgrades that make a huge difference.
These value adding ideas are going to change the game for your home sale. Start planning your renovations now.